This exercise is important in posterior chain strengthening - recruiting mostly the hamstrings and glutes.
1. Hold a bar at hip level with a pronated grip i.e. palms facing down.
2. Shoulders should be back, back arched and your knees slightly bent. This will be your starting position.
3. Lower the bar by moving your bottom back as far as you can. Keep the bar close to your body, your head and neck in a straight line with back, and your shoulders back (setting your scapular as we have shown you in previous weeks).
4. Done correctly you should reach the maximum range of your hamstring flexibility just below the knee.
5. At the bottom of your range of motion, return to the starting position by driving the hips forward to stand up tall, making sure you engage your glutes.